[Gllug] FreeServe tells Linux users to ---- off

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 12:20:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Richard Cohen wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/33404.html
> >
> > "Unfortunately, for a tiny number of Linux users we will no longer be
> > able to provide them this service. We are genuinely sorry but have no
> > option but to make this system change."
> >
> > Well --- you too then.
>
> Well... apart from the fact that this is "NTL Freedom" not Freeserve...
>
> As it happens, I've just moved my ADSL away from Freeserve, at least partly
> because of their attitude towards Linux - but it's not as bad as the above.

 I wonder if they think: non-windows user = more IT savvy = more bandwith,
 which it would be a bit silly, but with these types you never know.

 I was asked to setup a wireless ap of a ntl set-top-box, after replacing
 the original belkin crappy thing with a lynksys, it all worked.

 I had heard tales of registering mac addresses and the rest, it only took
 to switch off the stb for a few minutes, and swithching it back up while
 having the ap plugged and running.

 Anyway, if you really want propper linux support there is always nice
 people like Jason and others who can provide a better service.

 Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk