[Gllug] RAID Controller on Linux/SPARC

Fasih Rehman fudo at fudonet.net
Sun Oct 19 01:31:00 UTC 2003

Hello All,

I managed to get my hands on a UltraSparc 10 from work, it's basically
a bog standard Sun board in a regular desktop case (ATX). It is running
Solaris at the moment but I'm going to put Debian on it. The thing is I
want to put a large IDE (Soft) RAID in it.

So I planning on putting a Promise (or similar) controller into it. Now
my question is will a standard PCI card designed for a PC work in a
SPARC? I have google'd but only found references on the KMLs with
regard to the integrated IDE bus nothing about supported PCI
controllers. I remember encountering a problem in the past with a PC
SCSI card, basically the cards are wired specially to deal with BIOS.
Can anyone confirm this one way or the other ?

If this is not possible  can someone recommend an IDE Controller I can
put into a SPARC? Oh and SCSI is not an affordable solution, I still
don't like the prices in comparison.

Thanks As Always

Fasih

My last signature was better.