[Gllug] processor problem

david.crossland at talk21.com david.crossland at talk21.com
Tue Oct 14 14:20:48 UTC 2003

Hi all, i have a problem with installing any linux distribution.  I have a amd-k6 500mhz processor (time computer).  The CD is inserted and the computer is booted, the linux kernel boots up and continues until the following lines appear

  enabling new style K6 write allocation for 128mb
  CPU: L1 cache:32K (32bytes/line), D Cache:32K (32bytes/line)
  CPU:AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor stepping 0c
  checking 'hlt'instruction ...

At this point i the computer freezes and requires pressing the power button for an extended length of time to restart the computer.  This has never occured before and i have  previously installed other distros sucessfully (i have tested installing these other distros and have had the same error).  What i want to know is, does this suggest that my processor is malfunctioning and would i be advised to replace it?

I even get odd error in my windows installation, crashes, errors when installing and running programs many of which have never occured during the time i have had the computer.

I have checked the IDE cables and my hard drive and these function normally.

if you have any thought then please help
many thanks
david

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk