[Gllug] UK DMCA

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 18:11:06 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 10:29, Alain Williams wrote:
> For those that did not see this, read:
> 	http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032498.htm#24
>
> an extract from ``Statutory Instrument 2003 No. 2498'', Made 27th September
> 2003, Laid before Parliament 3rd October 2003, Coming into force 31st
> October 2003. Ie in mid party conference season. 40 points and 3 schedules.
>
> It looks as if we have DMCA by the back door, I doubt if most MPs (let
> alone any public) are aware of it at all.

I read this and have one comment and a question.

Comment: if there is a sufficient fuss in parliament it can be stopped, at
least pending a vote. The technical terms is "prayed against".

Question: IANAL and all that, but it looks to me on a first reading that this
creates no offences as such, but is the basis for civil action. Is that
correct?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk