[Gllug] Traffic monitoring

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Oct 21 08:55:09 UTC 2003

On Mon 20 Oct Wayne wrote:
> I have a number of users on a small internal network. I have been
> asked to produce a list of the amount of traffic users actually
> use..., any suggestions on how to monitor? Currently all users use
> squid for web proxy so i could monitor the logs but i would also like
> to monitor levels of say yahoo messenger use.

ntop will provide pretty much anything you want, if you configure it
right.

I suggest you make sure your monitoring is legal.  Currently I believe
you need to inform all staff (best probably in their contract) that
their use of the computer systems is subject to monitoring - otherwise
you may fall foul of privacy legislation.

Once you've informed them you are monitoring them, you can do what you
like.  IANAL TINLA YADA.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF