[Gllug] Network cable splitters

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 08:08:36 UTC 2003

On Sun 26 Oct, Dylan wrote:

> Hi
>
> In my continuing home LAN bumblings, I need to run a line about 30m. I'll be
> using the cat5 with the single cores, not the flex style, between two RJ5
> socket boxes. Now, I need to run two lines, for two separate networks. I've
> seen splitters, which allow one cat5 cable to carry two network connections.
> Have any of you used anything like that? Is it reliable? Wireless is not an
> option at the moment (I'm more keen to get a laptop first to justify it to
> the bf.)
>
> Cheers
>
> Dylan

   The only splitters I have seen in use have been for the original idea of
using the other pairs for telephones, but you could just try it. It should
be easy to separate the pairs without too much spare floating around if you
are wiring between two twin boxes, just continue the twists in the pairs as
far as possible. (The pairs all have different twists to reduce
interference).
   Are the other two pairs likely to be used in any future system? The
specifications for Cat6 are more difficult to meet than Cat5, there are +
shaped separators between the pairs and more limits on bending, and this may
mean that some future networking system may fail using the cable as you
suggest. I have always run more than enough wires on the basis that it is
almost as easy to run two as one while the furniture is being shunted
around. (Cat5 cable is relatively cheap).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk