[Gllug] Power supply problems

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 16:40:06 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 Oct 2003 9:13 am, Roger Whittaker wrote:

> My questions are
>
>  - what might have caused this to start happening?  Is there anything that
>    might be casuing a drain on the +5V in particular?
>
>  - is it a good idea to try new power supplies?
>
>  - any other clues ...

It's NEVER a good idea to use switched-mode PSUs in anything you really care
about!  However, since we're all beset by these nasty devices, here goes:

First - examine the installation of the PSU - are all the connectors tight and
fluff-free?

Secondly - try another PSU - if it is reported OK by your bios, then your
problem is solved.

Thirdly - if neither of the above work, get out a multimeter.  Try the suspect
supply in another box - is the 5 V rail still depressed?  If it is, the PSU
is knackered, if not, the monitoring on your original machine is at fault
(and can probably be ignored).  It might also be worth checking how much
current is being drawn on the 5 V rail.....

HTH - be careful, though, as it's very easy to break things!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk