[Gllug] Samba testimonials

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 13:23:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 01:23:17PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Does anyone know of any companies using Samba in a mid size organisation?
> We're looking to migrate some 350 users from Windows file sharing to using
> Samba. However, management aren't convinced, and have asked for some
> testimonials of people already doing the same thing. In particular,
> they're concerned about our plans to authenticate against the existing
> Active Directory server. While we've tested it in a lab enviornment, and
> it works without problems, they're worried that the Active Directory support
> in Samba is too new, and we don't know if it'll scale properly.

I set up a couple of organisations using Samba as a PDC with 100+ desktops running XP, w98 and W2K.  This works fine.  I know that this is not what you are asking; however it does happily support all users logging in at once spec:
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 1130.497 MHz processor.
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 2254.43 BogoMIPS
Memory: 1027436k/1048512k available (1336k kernel code, 17476k reserved, 999k data, 128k init, 131008k highmem)

On the question you are actually asking I installed a webmail and file server authenticating against w2k on using activedirectory for 300 users.  It works very well and is still running as I heard from the chap last weekend who was still very happy. :spec:
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 1400.104 MHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 2791.83 BogoMIPS
Memory: 382264k/393152k available (1310k kernel code, 8324k reserved, 995k data, 132k init, 0k highmem)

While speaking about the weekend I wanted to apologise to those who spoke after LJ at the Gllug meet last weekend.  I thought it was a bit rude me running off after only listening to one; however I am going to Germany on business tomorrow and have been trying for weeks to renew my passport.  (I have had a few hiccoughs!!)  Saturday afternoon was my last chance to pick up my passport and hence I really did have to dash off.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk