[Gllug] updating from source

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Oct 14 07:08:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Wayne wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> if I update an app from source, do I have anyway of adding this install
> to the system in such a way that utils such as fou4s and suse-update
> will pickup any necessary updates??

Easiest thing to do is download the source RPM.

If you use apt-for-rpm just apt-get source  packagname
Or go to rpmfind.net, search for the package, then download the srpm.

Once you have that, then go to the directory the spec files are in.
rpmbuild is the command to build the rpm from the srpm
Consult the man page, you need something like:
rpmbuild -bb --target PLATFORM

Once the rpm pops out the other end, just intall as normal
using rpm -Uvh
Or use yast and set the install directory to where the rpm is on disk.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk