[Gllug] Trades unions

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Oct 28 12:02:08 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:45:02AM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Do unions actually cater for anyone? It seems to me their sole purpose
> is organized blackmail.

Oh, dear.  John did ask for no diatribes but...
Given that even in the politically affiliated unions, you can choose not
to pay a party levy, that closed shops are now illegal and that no union
can force you to strike, there's no need to take any part in union
politics.  You can treat a union as a kind of employee insurance in the
most pgragmatic fashion.

> Are employers really so bad that people still
> need unions to do that for them? A friend who's a teacher says yes.

Yes, some employers really are bloody awful.  But you don't have to work
in one of those places to find the services of a union useful.  Even in
the most benignly-run organisations there can be conflict between
individual managers and staff.

> From my experience in the IT world, I'd say no...

Then I would submit that it is limited experience.  Just look across the
Atlantic for evidence of what some employers in the computing field will
try if they can get away with it.  Now, European employment law means
companies over here are barred from the worst
sack-you-in-your-lunch-break tricks but that doesn't mean there aren't
those that will try it on.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk