[Gllug] Newcomer

Richard Turner richard at disabledliving.org.uk
Thu Oct 30 22:04:02 UTC 2003

> It is, however, available in all good shops (and probably a few
> not-so-good ones too). If you do buy the box set, you get manuals with
> it (Users guide with the Personal edition, and Users and Administrators
> guide with the Professional).

I have had the opportunity to flick through the SuSE 8.2 manuals - a
mate of mine bought the Pro edition.  They are very good and if you're
the kind of person that prefers to have a book to hand rather than
referring to the Web then they're probably quite an asset, particularly
for a newbie.

I wonder though whether it's worth spending the money for manuals
containing info that's freely available on the Net.  I suppose there's
the issue of supporting one's chosen distro company by buying instead of
downloading, but even the installation support that's provided is easily
provided by your local friendly LUG :)

Of course, if you want to try all three to see which one you prefer then
it's not quite as practical to buy...

Richard
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk