[Gllug] processor problem

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 00:41:48 UTC 2003

On Friday 17 Oct 2003 12:09 pm, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I was told that the Intel chips (used to?) have a temperature dependant
> divider which reduced the effective clock speed as they heated up,

Urban myth, I'm afraid.

> while
> AMD chips were effectively always overclocked,

Another urban myth.

> but did not overheat under
> normal use in an office environment. I have no idea whether either of these
> are true, perhaps someone might be able to be more definite.

In my experience, new runs of Intel chips are usually dreadful - I made the
mistake of being a very early adopter of the PIII, and the first few I tried
all failed quite quickly.  Later PIIIs have all been fine.  Once Intel have
got their production bugs sorted out, their ICs are very reliable until the
metal migration problems start - with the older parts (PIIs for example),
they start to fail in bizarre ways after about seven years.

AMD parts are (in my experience) very reliable.  I've only had a couple fail
(out of hundreds), one due to over-enthusiastic overclocking, and one for no
apparent reason.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk