[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Oct 28 10:33:03 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> I'm just filling out a job application form for a job in the public
> service.  Yes, it's MS fscking Word but I'll just have to live with
> that.  OO seems to be coping.
>
> I came across this:
>
> ===
> Are you aware of any medical conditions that may affect your work performance?
>
> Please provide details of any absences you have had from your place of
> employment or study for health reasons in the past 2 years? (continue
> on a separate sheet if necessary)
> ===
>
> Is it legal for them to ask this?  I mean, this isn't so they can
> provide special equipment -- that can be ascertained later -- this
> information could ONLY be used to discriminate against someone who has
> been sick!
>
> I'm going to ignore the question as I don't think they have any right
> to know anyway.

yes - it's legal

one of the reasons the NHS is keen on this sort of question is the few
instances where, for example, a nurse has been found to be suffering
from extreme mental health problems only after children have died ...

they also have problems with back injuries caused by lifting patients -
and as such have a responsibility to make sure people are fit enough to
do the work required.

I don't know if they make an attempt to separate this from the rest of
the application process...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk