[Gllug] updating from source

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Tue Oct 14 07:51:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:28:57 +0100
Allen Wayne <Wayne.Allen at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> The problem with that is a number of the packages I have to install are
> either not in RPM form, or are so out of date it's a waste of time
> installing them

If you want to take advantage of the capabilities of your chosen package
manager then you will probably have to bite the bullet and learn how to build
packages from source. This is not always a straightforward task (certainly not
for RPM, I can't speak about other package managers because I don't use them).

Slightly easier is to dissect an out of date SRPM and add in the new src.tar
if the dependencies haven't changed wildly than the SPEC file will quite often
work.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk