[Gllug] processor problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 08:15:32 UTC 2003

On Tue 14 Oct, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:20:48PM +0000, david.crossland at talk21.com wrote:
> >   enabling new style K6 write allocation for 128mb
> >   CPU: L1 cache:32K (32bytes/line), D Cache:32K (32bytes/line)
> >   CPU:AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor stepping 0c
> >   checking 'hlt'instruction ...
> >
> > At this point i the computer freezes and requires pressing the power
> > button for an extended length of time to restart the computer.  This
> > has never occured before and i have  previously installed other
> > distros sucessfully (i have tested installing these other distros and
> > have had the same error).  What i want to know is, does this suggest
> > that my processor is malfunctioning and would i be advised to replace
> > it?
>
> Have you tried installing anything else, for comparison?  It's unlikely
> to be a Linux problem but if you managed to install FreeBSD or Windows
> then that would point the finger at Linux.  If you couldn't, then it
> would tend to indicate a hardware problem.

   Have you looked through the BIOS configuration? Unless you are dual
booting you can save RAM by not reserving RAM as BIOS mirror (not used in
Linux) or video use (let Linux do it).
   A delayed error like this could be an overheating problem due to a
blocked processor heatsink or fan stopped. I have often found a solid wall
of debris hidden behind the fan. If it is a sleeve bearing fan it may need a
drop of oil. Unscrew the fan from the heatsink, carefully lift the label
from the frame side to reveal the bearing, there may also be a rubber bung.
Drop a small amount of high quality light oil on to the bearing and replace
the seal. I normally check the power supply fan as well, but beware that
there will still be components inside connected to high volts stored on
charged capacitors long after mains power is disconnected.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk