[Gllug] Computer trouble/willing to pay

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 27 09:59:40 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:31:18AM -0000, Berdou,E (pgr) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> root (hd0, 0)
> Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0*7
> make active
> chainloader +1
>
> a disc error occurred

By the look of this, nothing has gone wrong with the bootloader but
something nasty has gone wrong with your disk.  This is not a matter of
fixing your Windows or Linux set-up - either the disk contents have been
corrupted or the disk is faulty.  If the disk contents have been
corrupted then this is good news for your wallet (at worst, you can
simply reinstall) but bad news for your coursework since not simply data
but the disk's parition table has been damaged.  If the disk hardware is
damaged then it will need to be replaced but your data may be entirely
untouched and recoverable.

In either case, I recommend you put your laptop into the hands of
someone who really knows what they are doing.  Unless you are confident
in your ability to assess the skills of anybody on this list who
volunteers, I'd say you are better off going to a data recovery
professional.  While there are some highly informed people on this list,
if proper analytical skills and the required patient, methodical
approach were common attributes then I would have much more patience
(and hair) left than I do today.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk