[Gllug] Fwd: IT Week needs your expert opinion

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 16 11:54:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:49:13AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:42:20AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > I'd be happy if I could get browsing to work on the local network
> > at all, ever, with any version of Samba ...
>
> Do you mean other machines browse your samba box, or the other way round.

I have one Windows 2000 box, and lots of Linux machines. I'd like the
W2K box to be able to browse shares exported by the various Linux
machines.

It can usually mount those shares by name, although this breaks
periodically too. I suspect Windows is the cause of this however -
Netbios name lookups seem to fail if the Windows box has been turned
off for more than a few days: I'm not joking!

> 3 quick tips:
> * get your network mask right

It's a 10/8 network. The boxes in question all have statically
assigned address with the correct netmask.

> * get your workgroup right in /etc/samba/smb.conf

"WORKGROUP"

> * register your samba with the local domain controller/...

Don't know about this one.

Another posting suggests this isn't necessary. I admit I thought that
these things were supposed to just "work themselves out", using
broadcasts and elections to select a master browser.

Anyway, it doesn't work, no matter how many variations I've tried, and
never has done.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj