[Gllug] re: balance of power, Unions vs Employer

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 23:22:21 UTC 2003

On Tue 28 Oct, t.clarke wrote:

> I know this is now getting totally off-topic, but the claim that the balance of
> power lies mainly in favour of Employers is highly contentious !
>
> It very much depends on who is:
> a) the Employer
> and
> b) the Union
>

> Small Union/ Big employer totally different scenario to Big Union / Small
> Employer.
>
> Tim

   I have a lot of sympathy for the small business entrepreneur who
struggles to get a company running, often risking everything he has in the
process, and ends up working long hours, spending most of his time finding
work for reluctant employees and servicing the inland revenue, social
services, health and safety, etc, etc.
   On the other hand, some employers just try to extract every last drop of
blood, sweat, and tears, at the minimum possible cost. This happens too
often after a company has been sold, when the new owner is only interested
in a company as an investment.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk