[Gllug] unknown ip of netgear printer server

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 20:25:51 UTC 2003

Pete Ryland wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:25:06AM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:59:15PM +0100, Pete Ryland wrote:
>>

>>>Have you tried a broadcast arping?  It may not respond, but it's worth a
>>>shot.
>>>

>>What is this magic you speak of?
>>

>http://freshmeat.net/projects/arping/?topic_id=150
>
>arping -B
>
>It's likely not to work, but worth trying.
>
>Pete

I find arpwatch really useful.  It monitors the network for new mac
addresses using arp.  It will normally email you as soon as someone
plugs something new into the network.

In addtion rather than cycling through the C class ranges slowly you
could set your IP address with a larger netmask such as
192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 and then running nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/16 or
something similar.

You can also use arp -s (plus other arguments) to add a new arp entry to
your local machine and communicate with the device using TCP without
even setting an IP address on the switch.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk