[Gllug] Laptops?

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:00:52 UTC 2003

At 09:04 25/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:me.
>Suggestions where to get a laptop without paying the tax?

It depends. :)

Adobe found out in the Scottish courts that bundling software isn't very
nice - they had to pay quite a hefty fine iirc. If you buy a laptop from
Dell stating that you do not require an operating system they will tell you
that you have no choice but to have a copy of windows.  Ask them if you're
paying for the copy of windows and they have two possible replies:

1) They tell you you're not, in which case ask for 10 free copies, thanks.
2) They tell you that you are, in which case they're asking you to pay for
something you don't want. Bundling.

Either way once you get the laptop, switch it on and you'll be presented
with the EULA which states that you must agree to the terms and conditions
or return the software.  Call Dell tech support and explain that you don't
agree to the terms and conditions and that you'd like to return the
operating system (including media) please.

You will perhaps now sit for a few moments whilst the Dell "engineer"
explains why this isn't possible.

I had to fight quite hard not to pay for a copy of windows with a Dell
laptop I ordered, but I got there in the end.

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk