[Gllug] Camera problems. (USB mass storage device)

James Durie james.gllug at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Sep 1 07:20:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 00:36, Mark Williams wrote:
> Just to add to the fun; I have a card reader, which blinks a little light in
> response to sda, I never have got it to mount properly. It is the only mass
> storage USB device I have (though there is an emulated SCSI CD-writer which
> gets shoved up a device for it).

I have one of those 7-in-1 card readers. If i run usbview I can see it
is just using the mass storage driver.

For quite a while I couldn't mount it on Linux either.

I installed drivers for it under win2k. It showed up as several
different drives.

So I checked again under Linux in /proc/scsi/scsci and it was showing up
as a single device. Turns out it uses a single scsi id and multiple
LUNS.

I had to reconfigure my kernel to switch on SCAN_ALL_LUNS and rebuilt
the scsi module (Just the scsi module).

Disconnected the reader removed all the loaded modules associated with
it and plugged it back in.

Now I get this:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: 5-DISK        CF Rev: 2.0D
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: 5-DISK        MS Rev: 2.0D
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 02
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: 5-DISK    MMC/SD Rev: 2.0D
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 03
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: 5-DISK        SM Rev: 2.0D
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 04
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: 5-DISK     FLASH Rev: 2.0D
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I still had to work out which was which as far as /dev/sd* went but I
eventually got it to this:
/dev/sda1               /mnt/CFlash             auto    noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/sdb1               /mnt/MemStick           auto    noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/sdc1               /mnt/MMC                auto    noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/sdd1               /mnt/SmartMedia         auto    noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/sde1               /mnt/Flash              auto    noauto,owner 0 0

And now it works just fine. I take the SmartMedia cards out of my camera
and shove them in the slot. I have a button on the gnome taskbar to
mount it and it appears on the desktop as a Nautilus window.

This may not be your problem but it is possible.

James

--
James Durie <james.gllug at dsl.pipex.com>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk