[Gllug] biff and maildir

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Wed Sep 24 16:37:52 UTC 2003

Jonathan Dye wrote:

>Failing that could
>anyone tell me if they know of a biff type program to check maildir
>style mailboxes or IMAP mailboxes?

Hmm.  If I wanted my command line to let me know that email had arrived
I would

1) write a Java program using the JavaMail API that monitored the
folders I was interested in (listed in ~/.jmailcheck).  On start it
would write the network port it was listening on and a key to
~/.jmailcheck.access.
2) Figure out how to trigger a program every time the shell prompt was
being reissued, so that small client executable or shell built-in could
contact the server and find what mail had arrived.

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk