[Gllug] re: telephone-switchboard music-on-hold

Kristian Davies kristian at ELIXIR-STUDIOS.CO.UK
Mon Sep 22 11:47:39 UTC 2003

I'm only guessing, but i thought the license fee was about £100, and as for
the music, i think anything over 100 years or somthing... so classical music
is fine.... AFAIK...

-----Original Message-----
From: t.clarke [mailto:tim at seacon.co.uk]
Sent: 22 September 2003 12:37
To: gllug at linux.co.uk
Subject: [Gllug] re: telephone-switchboard music-on-hold

Hi Guys

I know this is totally off-topic, so please forgive me !!

Since various list-members have proved to be most knowledgable upon a wide
range of subjects nothing to do with linux, I wondered if anyone might be
able
to assist me with same info on a annoying little problem with have with
music-on
-hold on our telephone system.

Basically, our new switchboard produces electronic 'plinky-plonky' music on
hold
(the ubiquitous 'Entertainer' by Scott Joplin, I believe),  which various
staff
and customers are describing as 'ghastly' etc.   We have the capability of
adding external music-on-hold from a CD player, but the MD is baulking at
this
due to the extortionate costs of PPL and PRS licensing fees.

I am wondering what sources of 'music' might be available on CD which would
not require us to pay out these licence fees  - even recorded bird-song
might
be preferable.  Alternatively, if I were to twist our local Church organists
arm to record a few choice pieces onto a recordable CD, would this get
around
the licensing requirements ??

If anyone has any info on this subject, I should appreciate it.

Yours syncopatedly

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk