[Gllug] Mail servers

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Tue Sep 30 12:39:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Jack Bertram wrote:

> Now - I can set up a POP3 server on this linux server.  But how should I
> make this as secure as possible[1]?  Ideally I'd configure it so that
> only this one user has access - but the user will be using a dynamic IP
> to get in.  Can I use secure POP of some sort? Unfortunately, this has
> to work first time with OE, or the user will lose all confidence in the
> new system.
pop3 over stunnel works fine with oe6. Only questions about certificates
can annoy your client. You can always use your own authority to sign
certificate, but this is beyond scope of this question.

> I've had a look on the Net for info on secure POP etc but haven't found
> anything completely up-to-date that works with OE 6.  Anyone got any
> pointers (or similar setups)?

> [1] I'm not entirely sure I know what "secure" means in this context,
> even, except that POP3 is supposed to be an insecure protocol and I
> don't want my server to be cracked because I'm running one additional
> service.
Secure in your case will mean that nobody will be able to sniff for
passwords. Also please setup smtp with auth and working over tls (postfix
can do that) - so you won't have to use smtp after pop3 thing.

--
GJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk