[Gllug] how much memory

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Sep 22 08:41:41 UTC 2003

Sean Burlington writes:

>  any advice on how much memory is needed by a webserver running RH9
>apache 1
>
>0.5 million hits per month - mostly php/mysql
>
>some gd work ...

Not a lot. We serve over 30 million hits per month from a web server
with 1GB of RAM (including lots of dynamic content with Tomcat -- and
all the bloat that Java brings with it). PHP should be much lighter
weight. While I'd always prefer more than 128MB, it should be fine
for your needs. Check what else is running on the machine, though.
For example, you won't need gdm, Wnn, canna, cups, and half a dozen
other unnecessary daemons running. While they're running, they're
using memory, and with 128MB, you'll need all you can get, so make
sure the machine's running the bare minimum you need.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk