[Gllug] Linux for old 486

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 13:43:20 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 02:33:39PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Alain Williams wrote:
>
> > > The old RH installer (back in the days when it was C based) did much
> > > better with server class hardware (think hardware RAID systems) and would
> > > work in systems that had 8MB of RAM and perhaps less.
> >
> > I seem to remember installing on a 5Mb box once.
>
> The first time I installed a proper distro (Slackware back when it was
> new) was onto a 386SX with 4MB of RAM.
>
> It wasn't terribly fast (floppy disk installs - arghh) but it did install.
>
> I can understand big RAM requirements for an install that uses X but
> something curses based shouldn't require more than a fairly standard
> kernel.

Not really ....
If you remember the really old installs, you needed to spend 1/2 hour trying to figure
which boot floppy image to use -- there were lots of different ones, each dealing with
a different set of hardware. The current install kernels seem to have much more stuff
nailed in and so you (generally) only have one - or perhaps 2 if you have a network install.

Playing module shuffling off floppy to try to find the right driver for your hard disk/
network card/... is painful and probably why it is no longer supported.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk