[Gllug] Custom kernels

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Sep 30 09:30:18 UTC 2003

"Henrik Morsing" writes:

>Patched yes but IBM has been changing code in the kernel and also
>developed parts they felt where missing. Filesystem changes was one of
>them. I've heard of one more but can't remember which one.

I'm intrigued to know what you think the difference is between a patch
a change. A patch is a just a convenient way of applying changes to the
kernel. If you look at the vendor patches, some are trivial one liners,
and others are, erm... less trivial. For example, Red Hat's qlogic patch
is 2.8MB. SuSE's ACPI patches are over 3.9MB.

>S.u.S.E. has never changed the kernel.

Sure they have. In the same way that RH and IBM have.

>But if RH, S.u.S.E. etc, starts changing the kernel it will be a mess to
>keep track of won't it?

Potentially, yes. But the major vendors have all been good citizens to
date, and changes are generally submitted back to Linus, or to one of
the other main trees (-ac, -aa, etc.) as appropriate.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk