[Gllug] Spammers

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Sep 24 12:09:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Richard Jones wrote:

> When a SMTP server receives a mail from a sender purporting to be
> somebody @annexia.org, it obviously knows the IP address of the
> machine which is connecting to it. What it does is to look up the RMX
> record(s) for annexia.org and checks that this IP address is one of
> the IP addresses listed in an RMX record.

it wont work - SMTP is a store and forward mechanism and many domains
forward email through other servers on an adhoc basis - note I am not
included spammers using open relays in this.

Many ukpost and ukfsn users have account specifically for this purpose.

> RMX records just guarantee the sender domain is a real domain, nothing
> else. That would have prevented the spammer in this case (see head of
> thread) from forging my email address in their spams.

No it wouldn't - the forgery is in the body of the message not in the SMTP
headers.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk