[Gllug] this week's windows hole

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Wed Sep 10 20:48:39 UTC 2003

Hi

A head's up for those who are still someway involved in Windows.  This
week's security hole has been announced:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-039.asp

"

Why We Are Issuing This Update

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain
complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
this update from Microsoft."

Given that we're still seeing hundreds of probes MS Blaster and friends, I
don't hold out too much hope of this alert being taken seriously either.

postel:/var/log/snort# zgrep -c Cyber alert*
alert:745
alert.1.gz:746
alert.2.gz:838
alert.3.gz:716
alert.4.gz:731
alert.5.gz:827
alert.6.gz:818
alert.7.gz:870

Would anyone like to start a book as to when the first exploit will be
released?

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk