[Gllug] Opteron article

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Sun Sep 7 22:28:13 UTC 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> > The bios on these support acpi and power managment, but i have found
> > that the kernel says 'APM is not SMP safe!' and disables it, i know for
> > a fact that 2.4.22 has acpi problems on later opterons, but surely? APM
> > for SMP machines under linux? any ideas?
>
> Linux doesn't support APM on SMPs because its unsafe. That's plenty
> documented so you'll have to live without it.

That's not entirely true - it does support software-controlled shutdown on
SMP, but you have to turn it on manually with a boot-time option:
"apm=power-off" from my old lilo.conf

And I don't know for sure, but ACPI should, I think, be different enough
from 'old' APM that the same limitations may not hold...

> Cheers
> Henrik Morsing

Cheers
Richard