[Gllug] Tax returns online? On Linux?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 09:03:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 04:52:24AM -0400, Ian Scott wrote:
> > Well I just signed up for the government gateway so I can do my tax
> > return online. The advantage, apparently, being that I won't need to
> > file before the impending 30th Sept deadline.
> >

> Not related to your query, but my wife is a tax consultant, and she has
> seen quite a lot of problems with the online stuff (returns getting lost,
> information going in wring, etc ) - she says she wouldn't recommend anyone
> to use it yet.

It is this ``getting lost'' that worries me the most. You submit your tax form
on time, the revenue loose it, claim that you never sumbitted it and then fine you.

This is why I do not do on-line banking. What happens when (not it, but when)
something goes wrong -- your account goes overdrawm because a transfer is lost,
you have to pay a surcharge on the gas bill because you don't pay them in
time [**] ? There needs to be a non repudiation mechanism that certifies that
you have done things.

The current solution that I am told to do is to print the page showing that I have
done the transfer. That involves me in a lot more admin, keeping track of lots
of screen/web prints; I don't know what the legality of these things are, or
what the bank will say if I send them one to show that they lost the transaction.
None of this fits well with integration with something like gnucash where I will
want to say ''pay this bill'' and have it contact my bank's computer and do it
all for me, just letting me know if there is a problem.

We are still in the stone age for this sort of thing.

[**] ever notice how they give you 14 days, but you don't get the bill 'till
5 days have elapsed ?

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk