[Gllug] [OT] Standalone DVD recorders

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 22:04:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 13:42, Dylan wrote:

> Having investigated the possibilities for using a Linux box for transferring
> my VHS library to DVD, I've decided it's more hassle than it's worth :(( So,
> we've decided to get a standalone DVD recorder. Any of you know of a good
> site to get the lowdown on formats and features so I can make an informed
> choice (rather than bowing to my bf's usual "that one looks nice and cost a
> lot so it must be good" attitude!)? I'll be looking for DVD+RW to maintain
> compatibility with the DVD burners we already have...

There's a few of them out there. Different manufacturers have settled on
different recording formats. I've got one, so I'll make one observation
based on that. Panasonic are the only manufacturer to use DVD-RAM.
DVD-RAM has a higher bit rate than any of the other rewritable DVD
formats, and as such, the Panasonic DVD recorders can record and play
simultanously. This means you can get TiVo like functionality out of
them - you can start watching the program 15 minutes after you start
recording, and skip the ads, watch one recorded program while you record
another, etc, etc.

Have a look at:-

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-panasonic-dmr-e60-multi-region-dvd-player.html

If you're really set on DVD+RW compatibility, the Philips ones do that,
but as all the players support DVD-R, and VideoCD, on CD-R or CD-RW, I
think you get a far better piece of kit with the Panasonic ones.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk