[Gllug] metacity on Woody

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun Sep 7 23:28:51 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 11:00:09AM +0100, Jeremy Tarling wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to the list so apologies if this has come up before.
>
> Running Gnome 1.4 on Woody, I just apt-got metacity to try it out
> instead of sawfish.
>
> It seems to be playing havoc with my panel applets, specifically making
> desktop guide only display a single desktop in spite of properties to
> the contrary, and not showing open applications in the Tasklist.
>
> Anyone ever experienced this?  Is there a cure (other than a different
> window manager)?
>
> thanks
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I have had this, the thing you need to run is metacity-setup, in later gnome2
stuff in debian its all properly integrated. metacity setup lets you define how
many desktops you have (because that is one of the things a windowmanager does)

the normal stuff in gnome only talk to sawfish

try getting your packages from sid,

Ian

> --

----- Message of the Hour ------