[Gllug] Slow over 2meg Satellite

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 16 13:43:44 UTC 2003

Andy Farnsworth wrote:
<snip>
 > This speeds up the throughput immensely unless you have a very
> lossy period, in which case nothing will speed you up.  As an item of note,
> they used to do this in the hardware / firmware of the satellite transceiver
> but they moved it to the driver (i.e. software) so they could dumb down the
> hardware and make it cheaper.

Satellite bandwidth you say? Did I ever mention I'm becoming keen on the
idea of picking up my stuff (takes about ten minutes) and moving into a
houseboat? In theory, I could just moor the thing somewhere and run a
normal telephone cable to a junction box for ADSL (perhaps), but I'm a
purist, and I believe my (mythical) boat should be a little oasis of
high-bandwidthness in a wiring desert.

I'm told gymbal mounted satellite dishes work, and I'm sure some basic
electronics, some gyros, and a servo or two would ensure that were the
case. A guy familiar with boats (but not such interesting topics as
computing) mentioned "sideband radio" or something of the sort.

Is anyone here familiar with the specifics of wireless bandwidth? I'm
not about to circumnavigate the globe, but I'm warming to the idea of a
canal boat somewhere.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk