[Gllug] mutt tip: handling html-only emails

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Sep 18 09:36:31 UTC 2003

For some time now, Hotmail has been sending out, by default, emails in
HTML only.  Mutt under Debian automagically allows you to view it, but
not in a nice way.  Replying included all the HTML gumpf.  I wanted
something better and went hunting.

What I found was this.
in the .muttrc, place:
auto_view text/html

and in your .mailcap file place:
text/html; lynx -force_html %s
text/html; lynx -force_html -dump %s; copiousoutput

Now when I open one of these abominations, it looks lovely in mutt.
And hitting reply, it's plain text.  Much more nicerer!

Or you could follow the instructions in the signature below.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article,
 then hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and
 fuck his dog and smash his computer into little bits. Anything
 more is just extremism." - Paul Tomblin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk