[Gllug] CNAME in a BIND9 Zone File

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 22:50:47 UTC 2003

On Thu 11 Sep, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >   I am trying to correct a reported error in a zone file for the domain
> >"localdomain". There are no reported errors amongst the NS, MX, and A
> >records, but if I want to refer to a machine by just its name, and enter a
> >corresponding CNAME record to supply the fully qualified domain name, that
> >line is ignored as out-of-zone data. I have tried various configurations
> >without success, and am not sure whether it is a problem of location or
> >contents of the line. All the CNAME records are at the end of the file.
> >   A typical line showing the single word alias and FQDN appears at the end
> >of /etc/bind/db.localdomain
> >
> >hotdogs.  IN  CNAME  hotdogs.localdomain.
> >
> >   Any help much appreciated, thanks.
> >

> Are you sure you should not be looking looking at the search option in
> the resolv.conf.  When your machine searches for hotdogs it will try
> hotdogs.searchdomain.com hotdogs.searchdomain2.com then hotdogs.
>
> I think your nameserver sees that it has no authority for hotdogs and
> goes straight to root servers.
>
> if you turn on querylog (rndc querylog) and watch the messeges log on
> your nameserver you will see the queries as they come in.
>
> Kind regards
> Xander

   Thanks for the reply. The first line of /etc/resolv.conf is

search localdomain

but the problem shows as the configuration file /etc/bind/db.localdomain is
read on booting, with a report in syslog that any similar line is ignored.
The alias "hotdogs" is followed by a "." in the CNAME reference to prevent
the domain name from being added, which would convert the alias into the
FQDN. The rest of the zone file is accepted and used normally.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk