[Gllug] Samba configuration

Anders Odgaard a.odgaard at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 8 18:57:40 UTC 2003

The last two issues of Linux Format has covered Samba configuration and
I decided to try it out, but have so far failed. I have the following
network configuration:

  |-------------------|     eth0|--------------|eth1|--------------|
--| ADSL modem/router |----|----| SuSE 8.2 box |----| SuSE 8.0 box |
  |   DHCP server     |    |    |--------------|    |--------------|
  |-------------------|    |
                           |    |--------------|
                           |----| Windows XP   |
                           |    |--------------|

                           |    |--------------|
                           |----| Windows XP   |
                                |--------------|

I have tried to configure the 8.2 box with swat to be a Samba server for
the Windows machines. I have encountered two problems:

1. When setting "hosts denied" to "ALL EXCEPT 10.0.0.127" (the ADSL
router allocates IP addresses in the 10.0.0.* range) I simply cannot
access the smb.conf file with swat any more. Access denied. Adding
'127.0.0.1' in the "hosts allowed" section does not help the problem.
Only when not specifying hosts allowed or denied can I access the file
through swat. Does the problem have to do with the DHCP server? When
disabling the hosts filter, I encounter the second problem.

2. The Windows machines see the Samba server but cannot access it. I am
running the standard SuSE firewall with all services disabled, and I
suspect that may be the reason. It is however not clear to me which
service should be enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anders

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk