[Gllug] Debian: Laptop.

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 15:26:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> On Mon 15 Sep Tethys wrote:
> > I was just trying to work out how Debian people did it without hand
> > crafting something that ended up looking like the "Redhat hack". So
> > far, I haven't found an answer. It seems like the only real difference
> > between the two is that RH comes with sane defaults for its run levels...
>
> I've never really understood the need - if you want X to start at boot,
> then run a display manager.  If you don't, don't.
>
> Why would you need to make the decision of whether to start X or not at
> boot time any more than you might want to do so for slapd or squid or
> quake-server or any other arbitrary program?
>
> doug.

	Every unix system I've ever met has sane runlevels. (SunOS,
Solaris, Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, BSD, System 5) even if the number
have different meanings!
	X is usally more optional than most other services. I don't know
why its different than other services it just is.
	The reason is I think that if you bring the computer up with a
strange or new moniter you have to be able to shout stop before it blows
the moniter up.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk