[Gllug] Canon PowerShot S50

Richard Turner richard at disabledliving.org.uk
Sat Sep 13 19:40:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 10:09, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst Richard Turner announce to the hordes:
> >
> > On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 13:06, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> > > Have you tried gphoto2 from the command line?
> > > gphoto2 --auto-detect
> > > (or --autodetect, can't remember off the top of my head)
> > >
> > > gphoto2 --get-all-files
> > >
> > > Also, try as root
> > > It may just be a permissions problem, I've had that on mine.
> >
> > Yeah, I've tried this now, but the camera's not detected.
>
> Sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling with usb to get it working.
> have you tried both usb-uhci and uhci modules? Is /proc/bus/usb being
> properly mounted? and is the camera set to the correct setting when
> attempting download?

There doesn't seem to be a way to change between 'normal' and PTP mode
on the menus and there's certainly no mention of how to do that in the
manual.  It does say that one can use PTP on WinXP or MacOS X using the
OS's own software but that it's better to use the Canon-supplied stuff
that works in normal mode.

I have usbdevfs working fine, and running tail -f /var/log/messages
before plugging the camera in shows that it's been seen.  In fact the
logs show that the usbcamera script I'd set-up was being run because no
driver had claimed the device.  I wonder if it is the PTP/normal mode
thing - I've searched all the menus and the manual and can't find a way
to switch between the two.  I'll look again, but I've just installed
Windows too now, so I can use Canon's software to grab my photos from
the camera and then boot into Linux to grab them from the Windows
partition.  That's solved my NetMD problem too :)

I'll continue to try to make it work and I'll post to the list what I
discover (as long as it's not me being horrifically dumb!).

Thanks for your help guys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk