[Gllug] university windows-only policy

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Sep 29 15:30:12 UTC 2003

dennis furey writes:

>Would any admins in the group care to speculate about the reasons for
>such a policy? (If there's a good one maybe I'll respect it.)

Ignorance is usually the reason behind decisions like this. Do the
University provide support for students who are unable to connect?
If so, it's reasonable for them to refuse to support Linux if they
don't have sufficient expertise to do so. That'll get mistranslated
by management into "anything but Windows is banned". What they should
be saying is "anything but Windows is unsupported".

>Do web proxies and mail servers normally log the client user agents
>and remote MTA's?

Yes. Mozilla and Opera can masquerade their user agent string, though,
so it can appear to be IE.

>Is there anything short of shutting them down that I could do with
>apache and ssh servers that I run locally? Is there any way to stop
>X11 from showing up on an nmap scan and still use the GUI?

Firewall those ports off from everything but the loopback interface.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk