[Gllug] Question on mod_rewrite

Simon Morris smorris at batesuk.com
Mon Sep 22 09:13:03 UTC 2003

Hello.

The documentation for Apache 2.0 [0] and mod_rewrite tells me that...

"The URL manipulations can depend on various tests, for instance server
variables, environment variables, HTTP headers, time stamps and even
***external database lookups*** in various formats can be used to
achieve a really granular URL matching."

It then goes on to describe performing lookups against various formats
of text files. I would like to know if I can get Apache to do a LDAP
lookup and then direct a user based to a particular server based on the
result of that query.

The idea is to use Apache to provide a reverse proxy in front of
multiple webmail servers. When a user goes to
http://webmail.domain.com/smorris Apache would take the username
(smorris) and perform a LDAP lookup. Based on the result it would then
reverse proxy the request to the correct backend server.

Any comments on how sane this idea is will be particularly appreciated.
Especially any thoughts about the performance hit, and would caching the
LDAP response be possible.

Thanks

[0] <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html>
--