[Gllug] Linux for old 486

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 12:24:38 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 07:33:37AM -0400, Ian Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just aquired an old 486 Hyperbook (8Mb RAM).
>
> It's currently got DOS on it, but I would like to get linux on here.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions for good floppy-based distros (it has no CD!)
>
> tomsrtbt won't boot (out of memory).
>
> I have tried mulinux, but I can't persuade that to boot either (it claims an
> invalid compressed format for the kernel).
>
> What I'd really like is something where I can boot it off a test/rescue floppy
> to see what the system looks like, then install it to my HD.
>
> Any suggestions?

Put the hard disk into another machine, install, replace the hard disk.

You just need to beware that the kernel & C library that are installed
are the 486 ones and not the Pentium/... that you installed it on.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk