[Gllug] Canon PowerShot S50

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 19:17:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 20:00, Richard Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 13:06, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> > Have you tried gphoto2 from the command line?
> > gphoto2 --auto-detect
> > (or --autodetect, can't remember off the top of my head)
> >
> > gphoto2 --get-all-files
> >
> > Also, try as root
> > It may just be a permissions problem, I've had that on mine.
>
> Yeah, I've tried this now, but the camera's not detected.
>
> I'll settle for the dual-boot option I think - I've always believed in a
> 'horses-for-courses' approach to choosing an OS and whilst Linux has
> been my sole OS quite happily for many months, and has met all my needs
> until now, I'm not prepared to deprive myself or make my life harder
> just to avoid using Windows :)

You really shouldn't have to with the S50. FWIW, gtkam is far better
than Canon's software, by all accounts.

Have you made sure the camera is in normal mode, not PTP mode? I think
there'll be a way to do this via the menu - there was on the S45. PTP
mode uses a different driver, IIRR.

The other thing that comes to mind, that may be important/worth checking
is that you have support for usbdevfs. On my machine, I have an fstab
entry:-

none    /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs     rw,devgid=235,devmode=0664 00

Connecting the camera modifies "files" in /proc/bus/usb, so if you don't
have that bit of /proc, that may be why you're getting nowhere. It's
ages since I set my S40 up, so I don't completely remember what bits
were important to get it working.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk