[Gllug] Slightly OT: 3ware RAID controller

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 22:54:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 23:39, Rickey Costas wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 17:40, Jason Clifford wrote:
> >
> > GND also supply the ICP vortex controllers, which, are very good Linux
> > compatible controllers indeed. You should give them a look before you
> > finally decide on a 3ware. They are a bit pricey though...
>
> Arent the ICP vortex controllers SCSI ?  I dont really want SCSI because
> the drives are above my price theshold.

Mostly, yes. However, their new controller, the GDT8546RZ is a 4 channel
serial ATA controller. It claims to be at the inexpensive entry level
end, so might be worth checking out. There are some details at:-

http://www.vortex.de/english/product/pci/rz_sata/8546rz_e.htm

I've only used their SCSI controllers, but the company is excellent. One
the rare occasion I've had call to phone them, I got straight through to
an engineer who knew exactly what he was talking about. I've not come
across another hardware company as clued up.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk