[Gllug] Firewall Setup Script

Richard Smith richard at gotworms.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 21:39:15 UTC 2003

George Hazlewood wrote:

> <delurk>
> Hi,
>
> First post from me so hello all.  I'm interested to know what people
> would recommend in the way of scripts which would save me time and
> trouble in setting up a nice iptables firewall.  The machine is a
> web/mail server on a normal network (not ADSL) running debian woody...

Personally, I don't bother...

Although the developer discourages this method, there's a handy little
init.d script called, coincidentally, iptables.

build up your firewall rules in the usual fashion, then when you've got
all up and running just do a:

/etc/init.d/iptables save_active

and bingo... rules saved.

make sure that iptables is initialised at boot time using (on debian):

update-rc.d iptables default

Just a quickie: Debian by default ships with the 2.2 kernel... you'll
need to upgrade to 2.4. I'm running 2.4.18 on all my new debian servers.

Quickie no 2: apt-get install cron-apt - which runs apt-get update daily
(which downloads packages too) and all you need to do is apt-get upgrade
on a daily basis and your server is updated.

--
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk