[Gllug] COT: Resigning from my job

Peter Childs Blue.Dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 20:24:49 UTC 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 20:56, Dylan wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2003 19:42, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> > I know this is completely off topic but I have never had a job here
> > before and I don't really have anyone to ask who would know this.
> > In my contract it says that:
> >
> > "You will be expected to give the Company one days notice for service
> > less than four weeks and 1 calendar month thereafter of your intention to
> > terminate your employment"
> >
> > I have been employed for ten months. Does this mean that I can resign
> > tomorrow the 16th and then my last day will be the 16th of the next
> > month, or is it like in Denmark where I wouldn't be able to leave until
> > the 1st of the following month (Nov. 1.)?
>
> Basically, yes. Although you are able to nominate a leaving date provided
> it is at least a month from the date of your letter.

	Your employer can then....

1. Grovel.
2. Request you leave now and pay you 1 months wages.
3. Arrange a day with you to the gain of both parties. (May be sooner or
later)

	It is usally best to leave as soon after pay day as possible! The month is
usally in you gain and in theirs. It means that if they fire you they have to
pay you a months wages or keep you on for that month (give a months notice
for reduntancy etc)
	The rule is a two way thing. But so long as you and your employer agree
anything can be done. Its only in cases of disbute where the law steps in.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk