[Gllug] Linux for old 486

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Sep 1 13:25:38 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> > As to the Debian 12M requirement is that a requirement to do any type of
> > install or just if you want to install workstation software (ie X)?
>
> Any kind of install I should think:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-hardware-req.en.html#s2.3

I see. That's kind of crap really considering how basic (and uncapable)
the current Debian installer is.

The old RH installer (back in the days when it was C based) did much
better with server class hardware (think hardware RAID systems) and would
work in systems that had 8MB of RAM and perhaps less.

I am going to take a look at the Sarge installer this week.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk