[Gllug] CNAME in a BIND9 Zone File

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 20:14:00 UTC 2003

On Fri 12 Sep, Ian Northeast wrote:

> Chris, what you are trying to do is invalid. "hotdogs." is not in domain
> "localdomain." so bind is rejecting it. You cannot put that record
> there.
>
> Does the search directive in /etc/resolv.conf not do what you want? This
> will make the system resolver try "hotdogs.localdomain" when you say
> just "hotdogs" (I assume there is a name "hotdogs" - no terminating "."
> - in localdomain is there? If not that may be the problem.)
>
> Note that bind utilities like dig and host don't use the system resolver
> and will not do this.
>
> If you really need to create a name "hotdogs." you have to create a
> domain of that name at put an A record at the origin. A CNAME is not
> legal here, as if a label has a CNAME it may have no other data and the
> domain origin must have an SOA and NS records so it cannot also have a
> CNAME.
>
> I do this occasionally e.g. to get mail headers written by internal
> machines to contain names unqualified by our private internal DNS name
> but it's rather unusual and not generally required.
>
> If this doesn't help then please let us know exactly what you are trying
> to achieve here.
>
> Regards, Ian

   I have an analogue modem which may be connected to an ISP via a dial-up
connection, although my normal connection is now a single fixed IP address
on the end of an ADSL feed, currently allocated to my ADSL modem/router
running NAT, then a 486 firewall, and on to a selection of mainly old boxes
in a private local network that was called workhouse.
   That name was appearing with the helo machine idents when mail was routed
through a smarthost in the local network, and with the sensitivities about
possible open relays I decided that the name localdomain might be safer.
   Hotdogs is just an old box that was acting as a small server connected to
the localdomain.
   I went through every configuration file I could find and changed all
references from workhouse to localdomain, and in so doing noticed that lines
giving the CNAME (only referenced to my local private network) from each of
the machine names were being rejected during booting as outside the local
domain.
   I do not have a string of allocated IP addresses, but would not want to
change the whole configuration if I need to rig up an occasional short term
connection via the analogue modem and a different ISP.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk