[Gllug] re: telephone-switchboard music-on-hold

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 11:36:46 UTC 2003

Hi Guys

I know this is totally off-topic, so please forgive me !!

Since various list-members have proved to be most knowledgable upon a wide
range of subjects nothing to do with linux, I wondered if anyone might be able
to assist me with same info on a annoying little problem with have with music-on
-hold on our telephone system.

Basically, our new switchboard produces electronic 'plinky-plonky' music on hold
(the ubiquitous 'Entertainer' by Scott Joplin, I believe),  which various staff
and customers are describing as 'ghastly' etc.   We have the capability of
adding external music-on-hold from a CD player, but the MD is baulking at this
due to the extortionate costs of PPL and PRS licensing fees.

I am wondering what sources of 'music' might be available on CD which would
not require us to pay out these licence fees  - even recorded bird-song might
be preferable.  Alternatively, if I were to twist our local Church organists
arm to record a few choice pieces onto a recordable CD, would this get around
the licensing requirements ??

If anyone has any info on this subject, I should appreciate it.

Yours syncopatedly

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk