[Gllug] xntp strangeness

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 19:52:28 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 08:45:22PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to get ntp to work properly over my local network. I have a
> server which picks up the time from an external public second strata time
> server at boot. All the client boxes then pick up time from the local server
> when they boot. So far so good.
>
> Tonight, I wanted to shift the local time server onto my gateway machine,
> because it seems more logical to have it there than on an internal server.
> Anyway, I have failed miserably....
>
> I am hitting a wall which has taken me a couple of hours to identify:
>
> The server picks up the time with no problem. And before today there were no
> problems internally picking up the time from the local server. I changed the
> server specification on the gateway to point to the external source and
> issued an rcxntpd restart (I'm using SuSE8.2, btw) and all was fine. Then
> changed the config on the former server to point at the gateway instead of
> the external source. An rcxntpd restart on the server led to a failure to
> pick up the time from the gateway.
>
> Much playing later had led me to the following state: If the machine serving
> local time is rebooted, all clients can pick up the time from that server,
> but if the server undergoes an rcxntpd restart then the clients can no longer
> pick up the time.

For a long time I had problems where NTP would sometimes work and sometimes it would not.

I eventually realised that NTP will refuse to change the time if it differs from the
reference by more than 20 minutes -- unless you give it some magic option (which some
distros do when the machine boots).

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk